Language trees support the express-train sequence of Austronesian expansion
Gray, R.D. & F.M. Jordan. (2000) - Language trees support the express-train sequence of Austronesian expansion. Nature, 405, 1052-1055.
Languages, like molecules, document evolutionary history. Darwin observed that evolutionary change in languages greatly resembled the processes of biological evolution: inheritance from a common ancestor and convergent evolution operate in both. Despite many suggestions, few attempts have been made to apply the phylogenetic methods used in biology to linguistic data. Here we report a parsimony analysis of a large language data set. We use this analysis to test competing hypotheses - the "expresstrain" and the "entangled-bank" models for the colonization of the Pacific by Austronesian-speaking peoples. The parsimony analysis of a matrix of 77 Austronesian languages with 5,185 lexical items produced a single most-parsimonious tree. The express-train model was converted into an ordered geographical character and mapped onto the language tree. We found that the topology of the language tree was highly compatible with the express-train model.
gray_and_jordan2000/gray_and_jordan.nex.zipDescription: Nexus data file of language data used in this studyFile Size: 59,997 bytes, (MD5: 4adb5f2e3662394e8ca9f5e1529c3ff2)Uploaded on: 2006-03-24 05:40:33
- Matrilocal residence is ancestral in Austronesian societies
- Language trees support the express-train sequence of Austronesian expansion
- Austronesian language phylogenies: myths and misconceptions about Bayesian computational methods
- Testing Population Dispersal Hypotheses: Pacific Settlement, Phylogenetic Trees, and Austronesian Languages
- The Austronesian Basic Vocabulary Database: From Bioinformatics to Lexomics
- Pushing the time barrier in the quest for language roots
- The Pleasures and Perils of Darwinizing Culture (with phylogenies)
- How Accurate and Robust Are the Phylogenetic Estimates of Austronesian Language Relationships?
- Does horizontal transmission invalidate cultural phylogenies?
- Language Phylogenies Reveal Expansion Pulses and Pauses in Pacific Settlement